Friday, March 26, 2010

Analysis of a Celebrity Endorsement

For this weeks blog I will be reviewing a celebrity endorsement of my least favorite NFL player, Tom Brady. He had just shot a commercial for Earth Hour, as he asks people to turn their lights for 1 hour on March 27th at 8:30 pm. I do not feel as if Tom Brady is an effective choice or an appropriate endorser for this type of advertisement.

First of all, he is a football player and unless he does other efforts for global warming that I don’t know about it seems odd that he has taken this stance. In my honest opinion, I don’t believe he truly cares about this subject, but I am sure he is making lots of money from somebody. Also, there is no visual aid in this commercial, just Tom Brady in his kitchen, an idea that is very plain, dull, and ineffective. Since March 27th is only two days away it will be not be long until we find out if this campaign will be successful. For me at least, this simple plea did not spark enough interest for me to turn my lights off on this coming Saturday night.

This article defends my opinion as it pokes fun at Brady and is feeble attempt at endorsing this product. It also takes a hit to Brady’s mediocre play over the past two seasons and states how its almost funny that a topic so unrelated to the “manly” sport of football can be endorsed by no one other than a football player. For me personally, an advertisement is most efficient when I can actually relate to it or if I believe that the endorser actually uses the product and it is not just some front or money making operation.

No comments:

Post a Comment