Friday, March 5, 2010

"Real" vs. "Fake" Food


mcdonalds_bigmac_fipo.jpg

One of my favorite foods is the classic American hamburger. But despite the taste, some of the hamburger meat I eat does not qualify as “real” food. At home, my mom would buy and cook organic, whole hamburger meat. The burgers tasted good, and had no additive substances. It smells fresh and it looks like a typical hamburger that you’d see on a commercial or on a billboard.

In comparison, a hamburger from McDonalds is more processed and not what you would call “real”. The fake burger is very salty and has unhealthy additives that enhance it tastes. The salty burger is very good in taste, just not very good for you. It has a stronger smell that anyone who has ate fast food can attest to. Once you finish eating the fake meat, you will soon feel it in your digestive system.

The fake meat does not provide essential vitamins or nutrients, and is nowhere near nutritionally equivalent to its “real” counterpart. It is said that some burgers contain a small percentage of horse meat.

Personally, I switched over to the fake version mostly due to financial costs. As a college student, my pockets are not very deep, and I generally have to eat what I can afford. Additionally, if I’m looking for a burger at 2AM, I usually have to settle with fast food. In the future, particularly when I return home, and have my mother cooking my food, I will gladly eat the “real” meat. The overall quality of real food greatly affects my health and it also makes me feel better on a standard day to day basis.

In Jeff Zurlinden’s article, he speaks of the dangers of fast food. While looking at the fast food process, it is clearly stated that by eating “fake” meat, you are putting yourself at potential risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment