Monday, April 19, 2010

"Preparing a Meal"

My friend is a big fan of eating sushi, so I thought it would be nice if I were able to make her some spicy tuna rolls. The thing is, it turned out to be more complicated than I had presumed. First, I had to plan the meal. The ingredients that I was going to need were 2 cups of sushi rice, 2-3 nori sheets (otherwise known as seaweed) 150 grams of Tuna Filet and some spicy mayonnaise to add the flavor. I had to go to several food markets, as they all did not carry the specific ingredients. For the spicy mayonnaise, I borrowed some from a sushi chef on State Street. I also needed a bamboo sushi roll mat, which proved to be very useful.

sushi poster.jpg

To begin my preparation I began by cutting the tuna in to various pieces approximately three centimeters thick and fifteen centimeters long. As I did that, I also began to cook the rice which. When it was ready, I drained it in my friends rice cooker and added four cups of water. To improve the texture, I let the rice drain for a half hour in the refrigerator. I then removed it and gently stirred it for a few minutes until it looked good.

I then began a process that is not as easy as it seems. I laid out the bamboo mat and placed a piece of seaweed over it. On top of the seaweed, I spread out a thin layer of the rice. Next I placed the tuna over the rice and added some of the chef’s special sauce. I then rolled up the sushi, which took several tries, but eventually worked. I cut it into 12 pieces and my meal was ready for consumption. Overall, I was pretty impressed by my work.

Polan claims that there “are a flood of damaging innovations such as low fat processed food”. I agree with Polan, but unfortunately, as a society grows progressions will happen and I believe that this was inevitable no matter what the circumstances. The meal that I created used all natural ingredients so I believe that if you are looking to eat healthy, you will be able to do so, you just have to watch what you’re eating and be knowledgeable of outside claims.

This article relates to Polan’s claims as the author speaks about different ways for food to become more low fat. The author’s work is proof of Polan’s thesis that there is an American public acceptance of his “flood of damaging innovations” as the author has various suggestions about decreasing the

No comments:

Post a Comment